Here is a photo of the Riley Whiting 8 day wooden work clock as received. All I got was the case with a bell. But having a keen eye; I could see real potential with this one. Things needed for this restoration include the movement, dial, feet and reconstructing a cornice top.
This photo shows the Riling Whiting clock with a movement installed. Sadly, the only movement I’ve been able to find for this is a Seth Thomas 8 day wooden works. Amazingly though, it is nearly a perfect fit. The winding holes, seconds bit and even 3 out 4 pin holes on the side all line up without alteration. So I will use this until the proper movement is found.
A view showing the case restoration complete
Clock is now now completely restored and running like a champ
3/4 veiw of the clock
Interior view of the clock, and yes it still has teh Seth Thomas Movement inside. I'm still waiting for the correct movement to come along.
This photo shows the Riley Whting 8 day clock now complete. Tis a grand sight indeed...eh?
Here is the dial I found for the clock. The gouges on the back side of the dial added for clearance indicate to me that this originally went on a Riley Whiting (or possibly Hopkins and Alfred) clock. However, someone at some point nailed on two strips of wood apparently to straighten out the dial. The nails used were too long and came through the face of the dial. As a result there are no less than 20 holes on the face of this dial that need patching. Due to scarcity of extra dials with a seconds bit, I’m more than ready to take on this challenge.
A close up showing the restored dial
Here are the tablets now under production
Finally the tablets are complete. This has only taken about 6 months to complete. Of course there were lots of other things that got in the way, but it stil took 6 months!